Scope of Work
- Civil site improvements for a new three-story addition to this regional medical center. The $158 million project adds more than 58,000 square feet of space including 40 more patient beds, two operating rooms, and 20 intensive care beds.
- Civil improvements include grading and drainage for expansion wing, walkways, sewer extension, fire service improvements and bioretention basins. Brelje & Race prepared the civil portion of the construction documents for HCAI and County permit review in coordination with the integrated project delivery (IPD) team. Brelje & Race also prepared the stormwater compliance documents, including the stormwater management plan.
- Provided construction administration, including response to RFIs and change order requests, and verified compliance during project close out.
- Project required verification that the existing sewage lift station and emergency wastewater storage tank had capacity to accommodate additional sewer flows from the expanded hospital.
- Brelje & Race analyzed the existing onsite fire pump and underground fire storage tanks to verify they could meet building code requirements for fire water flow and volume for the expanded hospital.
- Brelje and Race also upgraded the water treatment plant backwash system to improve the efficiency of the system.
Solutions and Successes
- Network of landscape bioretention basins detain and infiltrate stormwater runoff onsite.
- Project completed within budget and on schedule despite challenges of COVID-19 pandemic.
Other Notes of Interest
- Project awarded 2022 Best Healthcare Project in the California region by Engineering News-Record and 2022 Best Commercial Project in North Bay Business Journal’s annual Top Projects Awards.
- Brelje & Race also provided civil site design services for the initial hospital development project, completed in 2014.
- The hospital is one of the first in California to earn LEED Gold certification.
(Project in partnership with IPD team of Stantec and HerreroBoldt)