Scope of Work
Brelje & Race provided construction surveying, civil engineering design, and related construction administration services for this advanced 87,300 square foot, 3-story medical office building in southwest Santa Rosa. Civil design focused on site grading, utilities, parking, stormwater management and ADA-compliant public improvements to the sidewalk, driveways, and bus pullout.
- Design-Build project delivery method required close collaboration between engineers, architects, and contractors to ensure timely approvals from the City and adherence to the accelerated project schedule.
- Winter construction necessitated Lime treatment for site soils and special measures in the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan to fully contain surface runoff on an adjacent site.
Solutions and Successes
- On-site photovoltaic arrays were a late addition to the project after the start of construction. Brelje & Race worked closely with the solar designer to ensure foundations for the overhead structures fit into the parking lot without disturbing the post-construction stormwater management bioswales.
- A post-construction project created defined pathways through the parking lot, easing pedestrian access the main building entrance. Brelje & Race teamed with the project architect to design pedestrian bridges over the bioswales, a series of pathways marked by colored stamped asphalt markings, and curb cuts through parking islands. The project was successfully completed and met the owner’s objectives to enhance pedestrian safety and wayfinding.
Other notes of interest
- The project was afforded LEED Platinum green building certification for its use of low energy and water-conservation features.